It is fascinating that just by changing one ingredient in a certain baking recipe, you will get a different outcome.
Last month I made a soft chocolate chip cookies (see the recipe here ) I used butter and the outcome was nice and soft. Using the same recipe, I made this chocolate chip cookies but instead of using butter, I used the butter flavored shortening by crisco. Well I just want to try it. According to the label on the crisco tub, if using the crisco as a butter substitute, I will use the same amount as the butter then I just have to add 2 tbsp of water.
So the result are cookies that spread thinner as compared to those I first made using butter. In fairness, they were still delicious and the taste also has a hint of butter. I will be using more of this crisco butter flavored shortening in my future cookie experiment.
PS: I was not compensated by crisco to do this. It was just a personal experiment to satisfy my curiosity (evil grin) Wait a minute, I just realized that butter is composed of 80% fat and 20% water. If that is the case, I should have used 160 grams of shortening and added 40grams more of water since I used 200 grams of butter in my first recipe ( feeling confused…)
SOFT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES USING SHORTENING
All-purpose Flour – 300 g.
Baking Soda – 4 g
Salt – 2 g
Butter-flavored Shortening, crisco brand- 200 g
Water – 30 grams
White Sugar- 150 g
Brown Sugar- 100 g
Egg – 1 pc (large)
Vanilla essence – 5g
Chocolate Chips – 150g to 200g
1.Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix together the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
3. Mix the brown sugar and white sugar together
4. Cream the shortening, milk, and sugar together on low speed until fluffy. Slowly add the egg and vanilla essence. Cream until the mixture becomes light in color.
5. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches and mix under medium speed until fully incorporated.
6. Throw in chocolate chips and mix at low speed until just incorporated.
7. Scoop out the cookie dough using an ice creamscooper and lay them on a greased or waxed-paper lined baking tray
8. Bake for 7 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius
© myFresha-licious (23November2015)
DO CHECK US ON FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST
– myFresha-licious on Facebook
– myFresha-licious on Pinterest