I am still recuperating so my husband was kind enough to cook and prepare for our lunch the other day. I specifically requested him to make this dish.
When I was admitted in the hospital for blood transfusion, he bought a chicken casserole dish from the hospital’s cafeteria. Since then, I placed the dish in my to-cook list. Yesterday, I craved for the chicken casserole we had in the hospital and since I still felt weak, I asked Frederick to cook one for me and he did :-).
This Chicken & tomatoes casserole is apt to my expectations. The sauce is tangy with a special touch of natural sweetness and the mixture of herbs enhances the flavor. And the chicken meat was awesome, it was as I have imagined, fall-off-the-bone-tender and moist and really flavorful.
By the way, Hamad General Hospital serves free meals 5 times a day 🙂 and the food were all delicious. But since I lost my appetite I tend to be finicky so I usually request my husband to find something nice to eat.
CHICKEN & TOMATOES CASSEROLE – SLOW COOKED
( https://www.myfresha-licious.com/ )
Chicken thighs – 6 pcs
Tomatoes, diced – 6 large
Tomato Paste – 2 tbsp
Bell Pepper, diced – 1 medium
Onions, diced – 3 large
Garlic, coarsely chopped – 10 cloves
Black Pepper Powder
Magi Magic Sarap – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp
Water – total of 5 cups, maybe more until the chicken cuts are almost cooked fall-off-the-bone tender
1. Place oil and garlic in a saucepan and saute under medium fire.
2. When the garlic becomes aromatic, add half of the diced onions and stir.
3. When the onions wilted, add the tomatoes and stir until they softened
4. Add the chicken thighs. Cook them until there are no blood oozing out of the chicken cuts.
5. Pour 3 cups of water and black pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let it simmer for at least one and a half hours to two hours under low fire. Check the water level every 20 minutes, add more water as needed. The total water my husband used was 5 cups.
6. When the liquids have almost evaporated (after 1.5 – 2 hrs) add the tomato paste, bell pepper and the remaining onions. Simmer for a few minutes until almost all the liquids have evaporated. Adjust taste as needed.