I cooked bangus sisig (see recipe here ) some days ago and my husband requested that I cook the same again. I like bangus sisig but I decided on using other fishes for my next fish sisig recipe.
Salmon is one of our favorite fish but my husband only wants it raw, not cooked. And one of the parts he is not loving is the belly part because he finds it oily and unappetizing. We have a lot of salmon belly parts in the freezer. It had piled up because I had no better idea on how to cook it that Frederick will like until now.
I was hesitant to make salmon sisig at first because I know that Frederick hated the idea of eating cooked salmon. But after seeing him devoured my salmon sisig with so much gusto and hearing him say “this is how I want salmon to be cooked”, I was relieved and happy. i’m planning to cook this salmon sisig for him again soon.
I cooked this fish sisig differently from that of the bangus sisig. I did not use any oil. Salmon is an oily fish and the belly part is where most of its oil are deposited, adding oil will just ruin my sisig. I also used balsamic vinegar for added flavor.
As always I made two servings of this salmon sisig. For my husband, it was the plain sisig that he wanted since he didn’t like mayonnaise but he added a bit of wasabe paste though for that special kick. For me, I put a little low-fat mayonnaise. If you plan to add mayonnaise to your sisig, let the sisig cool down first before mixing it.
|salmon sisig with low-fat mayonnaise|
Salmon belly, skin, and other meaty parts- 500 g
Garlic, chopped – 5 cloves
Onions, chopped – 3 medium
Red Hot Chili Pepper – as desired
Bell Pepper, diced (1/4″ x 1/4″) – 1 small
Black pepper powder
Balsamic Vinegar – 2 tbsp
Lemon / kalamansi juice – 2 tbsp
Soy Sauce (Kikkoman) – 3 tbsp
Low fat Mayonnaise
Cooking Procedure :
1. Marinade the salmon in soy sauce for at least 2 hours.
2. Grill fish until it turned brown then flake it. Remove the fish bones if there is.
If you prefer to use the oven to grill your salmon then do it like I did. Place the salmon on a non-stick baking dish and grill it inside the oven at 200OC for 15 minutes or until the salmon becomes golden brown.
3. Mix the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice together and set aside.
4. Place the salmon oil (the oil that came out from grilling the salmon) and garlic and chili in a pan and stir fry until garlic is brown.
Actually, what I did is that I used the same baking pan where I grilled the salmon so that I don’t need to put any oil anymore.
5. Add half of the onions and the bell pepper and stir until they wilt.
6. Stir in the flaked salmon and sprinkle with black pepper powder (as much as you want). Continue stirring.
7. Pour the lemon-balsaic vinegar-soy sauce seasoning on the salmon. Stir at medium heat until the liquids has almost evaporated.
8. Add in the remaining onions. Stir for 2 minutes and remove from fire.
Check the links below for our collection of recipes on sisig.
myFresha-licious Pork Sisig collection & Fish Sisig collection
© myFresha-licious (10February2013)