When we were going around a mall (here in Qatar) looking for my samsung galaxy note 2, my mind was deliriously imagining what to eat for dinner. That’s what I do when my tummy is growling in hunger. And the thought of salmon and pasta whetted my appetite and I can’t wait to get home to cook a salmon–pasta dish.
We have tons of salmon in the freezer. My husband is fond of salmon. That’s why we make sure that we always have some fillets and sashimi-cuts in the house. I also stock on noodles – egg noodles, rice noodles and some pasta noodles so that in case I crave for a noodle dish, I can just whip them up anytime. I hate the incovenience of running to the supermarket whenever I need something, that’s why we stock 🙂 (we’re no doomsday prepers though 😀 )
Though my husband dislikes pasta specially those in white sauce, I forced fed him. According to him, the taste was acceptable and he can tolerate eating my pasta dishes as long as I don’t cook quite too often. He meant – I cook not more than once a month (evil grin).
Try this easy pasta treat – CREAMY SALMON & MUSHROOM PASTA
Spaghetti noodles – 300 g.
Parmesan Cheese, grated
Creamy Salmon & Mushroom Sauce
CREAMY SALMON & MUSHROOM SAUCE
Salmon, diced – 200 g.
Black Mushroom, dried & reconstituted – as desired
Onion, chopped – 1 large
Garlic, chopped – 10 cloves
Green Bell Pepper, chopped – 1 small pc
Basil, dried & ground
Thyme, dried & ground
Rosemary, dried & ground
Parsley, dried & ground
Salt & Black Pepper Powder to taste
Unsalted Butter – 1 small slice
All purpose flour – 3 tbsp
Evaporated Milk – 1 1/2 c
Water – 2 1/2 c
Knor Chicken bouillon – 1 cube
Salt to taste
a dash of Nutmeg
1. Cook the spaghettie noodles as directed in its package, drain and set aside. Do not wash with cold water.
how to cook the CREAMY SALMON & MUSHROOM SAUCE
1. Reconstitute the dried mushroom by soaking it in water for at least an hour. Drain well and set asaide.
2. In a sauce pan, place the oil and garlic on it and saute it until it is aromatic. Do not allow the garlic to turn brown. Add the onion and bell pepper. Stir.
3. When the garlic, onion, and bellpepper becomes fragrant or when the onion wilted, add the mushroom and stir. Season with the herbs, salt, and black pepper.
4. After a minute, add the salmon and let it be cooked stirring occasionally. Set Aside
5. Melt butter under very low fire so as not to burn it. Remove from fire once melted.
6. Mix the flour with the melted butter thoroughly. Heat it under slow fire while stirring briskly for a a minute.
7. Pour in themilk, water, Knorr Chicken Cubes, salt, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Stir continuously and break any lumps. The sauce must be homogenous.
8. Let the sauce simmer underlow fire until it starts to thicken.
9. Add the sauteed salmon and mushroom with the sauce and let it simmer again until the sauce is thick but pourable
Pour the creamy sauce over the pasta and mix. Drizzle with grated parmesan cheese then serve