Mammy’s breakfast menu always includes eggs. Didn’t I mention that before? Anyway, this is what we have for our breakfast this morning – Eggplant omelette, my Mammy’s version.
This is the best dish I always look forward to, to break the fast. Surely. Mammy’s eggplant omelette is so tasty that I always find myself wanting for more. I know her recipe but I don’t know what tricks she uses every time she cooks eggplant omelette. And this morning, as I watched Mammy skillfully flipped the omelet without deforming it, I was amazed. She makes sure that her omelette has to come out “round” so she can slice it equally dividing it fairly among us 🙂
TORTANG TALONG / EGGPLANT OMELETTE
Eggplant – 2 pcs (medium size)
Leeks, diced – 2 stalks
Ripe Tomatoes, diced – 1 large
Onion, diced – 1 medium
Garlic, crushed and minced – 2 cloves
Eggs, medium – 2 pcs
Salt – to taste
Magi Magic Sarap – 1/4 tsp
Ground Black Pepper
oil for frying
Cooking Procedure :
1. Broil the eggplants over charcoal until it’s cook and tender. You can also grill the eggplants on top of an open-flame stove. Cool the eggplants then peel off the charred skin.
2. Flatten the eggplants using the back of a fork. Check for any worms in the eggplant. Set aside.
4. Beat the eggs then add salt.
5. Mix the beaten eggs, sautéed eggplants, and leeks.
5. Heat oil in a saucepan. Spread the egg-eggplant mixture on the pan tilting it so that the egg mixture will be evenly distributed on the pan.
6. Flip the omelette to fry the other side. Mammy used a plate to flip the omellete without deforming it. Drain on paper towels.
© Fresha-licious (16 September 2012)