This recipe was based on the short crust pastry of Gina Steer found in her book “The complete sterp-by-step baking cookbook”. I have adjusted the recipe (small revision only) so I could remember it better
I use this on sweet pies like in my apple-cinnamon pie which I will be posting later
All Purpose flour – 200 g.
Butter – 50 g.
shortening – 50 g.
Salt – 1 g
Water – 15 to 30 g.
1. Sift flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Cut the shortening and the butter into small pieces.
3. Rub the fats into the flour-salt mixture using your fingertips until the mixture resembles a fine bread crumb. You can also do this using a blender. put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until it produces a fine bread crumb-like
4. Add water gradually and mix to form a soft, pliable dough.
5. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface until the dough is smooth and free of cracks
6. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out into a lightly floured surface.
7. Use as required.
8. If your recipe calls for a crispy baked pie crust. Place and mold the flattened dough in a pie pan then bake blindly at 200 degrees celsius until it is lightly brown
Makes one 9”-diamter pie crust . Here’s the estimated Nutritional values per 1 whole pie crust based on the ingredients used.
|Calories : 1,506 kcal||Total Fat: 92.4 g.|
|Cholesterol : 100 mg.||Saturated fat : 75.4 g.|
|Protein : 22.02 g||Dietary fiber : 6.8 g.|
|Sodium : 687 g.||Carbohydrate : 150.02 g.|