We baked pizza for supper tonight. Again. But this time we used a different dought from that of the Basic Pizza Sauce I made for Frederick’s pizza yesterday.
Dried herbs were used but fresh herbs can also be used. I am not sure however, as to the amount of fresh herbs to use. The crust turned out to be savoury and yes healthier.
Herb pizza crust are good for Italian style pizza. I just have to find the right sauce and toppings to create a perfect pizza flavor balance.
A. Herb Mix Ingredients (all dried)
Basil, dried and ground – 0.4 g
Oregano, dried and ground – 0.4 g
Rosemary, dried and ground – 0.4 g
Thyme, dried and ground – 0.4 g
|Baker’s percentage||weight in grams|
|All Purpose Flour||100%||300|
|Bruggeman Instant Yeast – blue label||1.5%||9|
|Herb Mix (see above)||0.80 g|
Total Dough Weight
|501.8 -531.8 g|
Yield : 2 12″-diameter pizza crust (12″) or 3 8″-diameter pizza crust
Mixing Method: Straight dough
Fermentation time: 30-60 minutes until the dough doubles in size
Proofing time : 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size
Baking : 200 degrees Celsius / 20 minutes
1. Mix thoroughly all the dry ingredients for the pizza dough and the herbs together
2a. Using a stand alone bread mixer with the dough hook: mix all the ingredients (dry, oil, and water) use slow speed (#1) for a minute. Then mix to medium speed. Make sure that the dough is not hot (not over 40degrees Celsius)
– Mix the dough until the gluten is developed. To check if gluten is developed, take out a piece of the dough, stretch it out, if a plastic-like appears in the middle, then the gluten is well developed. Just make sure that the dough is not hot or not more than 40degrees Celsius.
2b. Using a bread machine : mix the ingredients in the following order, water, oil (or other melted fat), and then the dry ingredients. Press the “dough only” function. Mix until gluten is developed.
3.Once gluten developed, form the dough into a ball, place in a flour-dusted bowl and cover with plastic. Ferment for 30-60 minutes or until the dough doubled in size.
4. Dust a flat surface with flour, form dough into a round ball, rest for 5-10 minutes then flatten it with a rolling pin. If you are using a round pizza platter, form a round flat dough. If rectangular, then for a rectangular flat dough.
5. Place flattened dough on a greased pizza pan, set-aside and proof for at least 30 minutes.
6. Cover with your desired sauce and/or toppings.
7. Preheat oven and bake the pizza at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until the bread turned brown
Yields two 12″-inch diameter or three 8″-inch diameter pizza crust, each crust can be sliced into 8. Here’s the estimated Nutritional values for a slice (based on a 12″ diameter) of pizza crust based on the ingredients used. 1 slice = 1 serving
|Calories : 92.32 kcal||Total Fat: 1.63 g.|
|Cholesterol : 0 mg.||Saturated fat : 0.24 g.|
|Protein : 2 g||Dietary fiber : 0.64 g.|
|Sodium : 74 mg.||Carbohydrate : 15 g|