Craving for my homedish favorite I usually cook steamed chicken my way. Though it’s taste is somewhat lacking that flavour from my mama’s recipe, still, the taste is good. the flavours of the ginger, garlic, onion, pepper and lemon blended well. Just that the flavour however do not spread evenly and permeate deeply in the chicken meat. The taste is still delicious nonetheless. My sister Kristine doesn’t want it that much because of the taste of the ginger (she hates ginger). She ate it just the same.
One thing more, this is a healthy dish as it is not oily, that’s why I chose this for lunch today to break my detox program. Here’s the recipe:
1 whole chicken, thawed
Ingredient for the Stuffing
ginger – 2 inches
garlic – 15 cloves
onion – 1 whole, large
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
salt & pepper – to taste
Ingredients for rubbing
salt and pepper
ginger, garlic – from the stuffing mix
Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tbsp
1) Rub the outer part of the chicken with lemon juice. let sit.
2) using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and ginger. Chop the onion. Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing except the lemon juice.
3) Rub the inside of the chicken’s cavity with the lemon, salt and pepper.
4) Rub the outer part of the chicken with the salt and pepper. Let sit.
5) Stuff the chicken with the stuffing ingredients.
6) Rub the chicken with the chopped ginger and garlic
7) On a double boiler boil water. Put the chicken on the topmost part of the double boiler. Let the steam cook the chicken for 20 minutes then turn the chicken on the other side and cook for another 20 minutes. To check if the chicken is already done, prick the legs with a fork, if the juices run clear then the chicken is already cooked.
4) Reserve the stock. Use the stock to cook the rice. cook the rice the usual way: wash the rice then add the chicken stock. Cook.
|preparing the chicken for steaming|
enjoy the steamed chicken with steamed carrots and steamed greens
I forgot to take the picture of my cooked steamed chicken dish.